From:
Melissa deBie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:53:26 -0700
Hello Everyone

I am posting this for colleagues on an exhibit team focusing on the Sand
Creek Massacre.  If you can help--please contact them!
Thank You

*Melissa de Bie*

Assistant Registrar

*History Colorado - The Colorado Historical Society*

1560 Boadway, Suite 400

Denver, CO 80202

*Tel** *303-866-3250

*Fax** *303-866-5739

 Click here to sign up for the monthly Colorado History NOW email
newsletter<https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:50039>
.

*History Colorado – the Colorado Historical Society* is currently planning
exhibits for a new building in Denver, the *Colorado History Center.*

Exhibit development curators have identified several artifacts not
represented in the institution’s collections for which we are having
difficulty finding lending sources:

   - One pair of Union enlisted man’s “mounted pattern” trousers, sky blue
   with Sergeant’s stripe (1 ˝” wide), preferably William Deering, J.T. Martin
   or Schuylkill Arsenal. This pair of trousers should conform to the standards
   described in the *Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States
   1861 ( see General Order No.108, Headquarters of the Army, December 16,
   1861, authorizing sky-blue as the color).*
   - One pair of pattern 1861 ankle boots (12” Wellington style, also
   referred to as 1861artillery boots) conforming to the standards as described
   in the *Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States 1861*.
   - One enlisted man’s “mounted troops pattern” overcoat (Greatcoat)
   conforming to the standards described in the *Revised Regulations for the
   Army of the United States 1861.*
   - One pair of c. 1864 leather military gauntlet gloves (can be
   non-regulation).

These artifacts have been chosen to help illustrate an exhibit that explores
events preceding the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864, as well as the massacre
itself and resulting consequences. They will be displayed on a mannequin
that will depict an enlisted 1st Regiment Cavalry, Colorado Volunteer
sergeant (we can send a sample image). We are asking for loans of three
years (six months in advance of the exhibit opening for loan documentation
and exhibit preparation; two years for exhibit display; six months for
return [this time might be less]). This will be a good opportunity for
public exposure for any institution that might lend objects. With the grand
opening(s!) of the new building and new exhibits, we anticipate a
well-attended public turnout.

If you have any of the described artifacts that you would be willing to
lend, please contact either:

James S. Peterson

Curatorial Assistant

Department of Material Culture