From:
Monta Lee Dakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:30:16 EDT

 See Montana during MPMA's Conference

MPMA always has great  tours. This year, we discover Montana!!!

MPMA's Host Committee has organized many tours so delegates can  see
interesting places in Montana. Remember: this is Big Sky Country and all tours
will  include incredible scenery. A great  chance to see Montana and to
experience it with knowledgeable guides.

All Day Tours

T1  Butte: Decadence, Wealth and Immigrants

See the most colorful town in Montana: Butte. Known as The Richest Hill  on
Earth, this mining town is famous for its wild ways from the 1870s through
the 1950s. Most of the copper for World War I came from Butte turning it
into  the most prosperous town in the US. Standard Oil Company, wealthy Copper
Kings  and poor European immigrants all sought riches in Butte. Join us as
we visit the  nation's largest National Historic Landmark District to see
evidence of past  opulence and decadence.
We'll tour the  Red Light District,visit a historic brothel, and see the
last vestiges of what  was a bustling Chinese culture at the incredible Mai
Wah Society buildings (Wah  Chong Tai Mercantile and the Mai Wah Noodle
Parlor). We'll tour Butte's new  archival repository in an historic building.
We'll end at the site of the  Speculator Granite Mountain Mine disaster and the
historic Hoist House. Lunch  included.
T2  Great Falls: Buffalo Jumps, Waterfalls and Famous People
See the area  where the first white person to visit was Meriwether Lewis in
1805 as part of  the Lewis and Clark Expedition, followed by explorer and
trapper Jim Bridger in  1822. Great Falls acquired another well-known
resident, Charlie Russell, who  became one of the nation's foremost western
painters. See the studio where he  painted the blood-stirring action of the Old
West with Native American war  parties, brawling cowboys, Native American
buffalo hunts, and bucking  broncos.

The tour  includes the First Peoples Buffalo Jump,  an archaeological site
that is one of the nation's largest bison cliff jumps.  Native peoples used
this site for at least two thousand years prior to Lewis and  Clark's
expedition through Montana. We'll  follow the path of Lewis and Clark and see the
Lewis and Clark Interpretive  Center with its films and exhibits. Located on
a bluff overlooking the Missouri  River, the center sits by the falls that
detained the Corps of Discovery for a  month while boats and supplies were
portaged around the falls. We'll end our  tour with a panoramic view of the
Great Falls, described by Lewis as "this  sublimely grand spectacle." Tour
led by MHS Curator of History Sarah Nucci.  Lunch included.
T3  Deer Lodge: Where Cattle Was King and Film was Hot
See the second  oldest town in Montana and one of the prettiest. Deer Lodge
began in 1852 after  the first gold in the state was discovered nearby. It
is nestled in a beautiful,  broad valley between the Continental Divide and
the Flint Creek Mountain Range.

We'll visit  the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site, its main house
called "the first  pretentious house in Montana" when it was built in the
late 19th century. Once  the headquarters of a ten million acre cattle empire,
Grant-Kohrs Ranch - still  with its original furnishings - is a working
cattle ranch that preserves the  role of cattlemen in American history - and
tells the story of Conrad Kohrs,  "Montana's Cattle King."
We'll also  visit the Old Montana Prison Museum. Listed on the National
Register of Historic  Places, this turn of the century fortress with its corner
turrets was home to at  least one member of Butch Cassidy's "Wild Bunch."
We'll as visit the historic  Rialto Theater and hear the interesting
preservation story behind this  Beaux Arts landmark. Lunch included.
Half Day  Tours

T4  High Style Helena
has always  played a defining role not only in Montana politics but in its
cultural life as  well. See notable examples of the Queen City's diverse
cultural past: the  Original Governor's Mansion, a Queen Anne residence built
in 1888 that served as  home to Montana's First Families; the magnificent
Cathedral of St. Helena on a  hill, and the famed Montana Club, which was
founded as a private gentleman's  club in 1885, retains its clubby ambiance and
has the best views of Helena.

T5  Haunted Helena
Join Dr. Ellen Baumler - noted ghost buster and  award-winning historian -
in a unique tour that fuses tales of mystery with  solid research to unearth
some of the more chilling episodes of Montana history.  On a trolley,
you'll discover Helena's varied historic districts: Reeder's Alley  (Helena's
oldest extant commercial buildings),the Benton Avenue Cemetery (home  to many
of Helena's most colorful early citizens), and neighborhoods with
spectacular Victorian mansions on the city's Upper West Side. Dr. Baumler will  share
her unique insights into the vestiges of the past that can no longer be
seen. Learn how Chinese miners, outlaws, prostitutes-and even a cat-are still
making their presence known. Warning: this tour is not for the faint of
heart!
T6  Majestic Mount Helena
Among the smallest of state capitals, Helena is home to  one of the
nation's most expansive city parks-and the most spectacular scenery  anywhere. Join
this guided trek up the Queen City's namesake mountain which  provides a
dramatic backdrop to the Queen City's colorful  history and provides miles of
hiking  and biking trails. En route learn about the geology of the area,
discover the  remains of early attempts to find gold, and be on the watch for
wildlife. From  the top, enjoy panoramic views of the Helena Valley below,
the Continental  Divide to the west, and the Big Belt and Elkhorn Mountains to
the east. This  strenuous hike is four to five miles. But the views are
worth it!!
T7  Industrial Complexes: Art Delight and Military Might
Join us as  we delve into two of Helena's most important industries:
ceramic production and  military sites - all nestled beneath the shadow of Mount
Helena and the  foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
Art Delight: Join us on a tour of  the Archie Bray Foundation, a
world-renowned center for the ceramic arts: first of its kind and of great  interest
to art lovers. It has a great historical story: the site goes back to  the
1880s as the Kessler Brick and Tile Works and many of those buildings still
stand. In 1951, brickworks heir and art patron Archie Bray transformed the
former manufacturing site into an internationally recognized center for the
creation of fine ceramic arts. Today the 26-acre grounds - listed on the
National Register of Historic Places - offer a unique blending of industrial
remains (including the original beehive kilns) and artworks created by the
emerging and established ceramic artists who are invited to study here.
You'll  see contemporary cultures and historic pieces, working artists'
studios, a clay  business; an unbelievable array of pieces by artists who studied
at the Bray;  and a gallery where you can purchase works by resident artists.

Military Might: Guarding the Big Sky  on the outskirts of Helena's west
side is Fort  Harrison, originally named for President Benjamin Harrison. It
garrisoned  by troops in 1892, was an active army post until 1913, served as a
mustering  site for Montana troops bound for France in 1917, was a training
site for  National Guardsmen between the two world wars, and today is home
to the Montana  National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve, U.S. Navy Reserve,
Veteran's Cemetery, and  Veteran Administration's hospital. The fort is also home
to the recently  established Montana Military Museum with artifacts
documenting two hundred years  of military presence under the Big Sky.

All Day Tours Tuesday, October 18 ** Half Day Tours Friday,  October 21
All tours Depart from Conference  Hotel
_Register online_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=6w8tvlcab&et=1107349025740&s=0&e=001mkHQcUnJFP7-pnEp_U-zUZBZskKgKPZuTmzON2dA3JAV-FcVpRHF_EqgPUzaF3maE0W
SmEnbjNBpNKwUpvf3ZbHdr5z1vtTsZvvah7LAV32Qps_4yDHSKLgVrFmPeeBM8RflafyyPVlvv30
SEPTDy71u6-7C6QI8L8D38HgPxxW1kwJCK8eSKw==)
_Register hard copy _
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=6w8tvlcab&et=1107349025740&s=0&e=001mkHQcUnJFP7-pnEp_U-zUZBZskKgKPZuTmzON2dA3JAV-FcVpRHF_EqgPUzaF3m
aE0WSmEnbjNBpNKwUpvf3ZRL2oDUobJ_ciMsksDb8E0Q=)
Want to add a tour to your registration? _Email MPMA_
(mailto:[log in to unmask])