From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:48:03 EDT
This is a sensitive and critical issue that I'd like to ask of list  members
who are willing to advise me on.

In turn, I am advising and assisting our museum chapter members (who
established an autonomous museum charter through a chapter of a national
association) during the decision-making process which will decide whether or not  the
museum chapter can continue to function. There are some details that I'd  rather
not discuss in a public forum, but for the most part I can freely provide
information while seeking advice and opinions regarding the matter of the
potential dissolution of our museum.

Unfortunately, there are no known existing charter documents to  provide for
transferal of ownership of the museum's collections.  There is a possibility
that this can be and will be decided and voted  upon by the members along with
the dissolution of the museum  chapter/charter.

First and foremost the alumni members who established this museum have
expressed a wish for the collections to stay in Connecticut, that they  remain
intact as a collection and that they be accessible to the  general public. There
have been individuals among our membership who have  offered the collections to
other non-profit museums and organizations, but  this has not met with
success. Likewise, various individuals and  organizations have been asked to operate
the museum as it exists.

The museum is struggling to operate as an non-profit,  all-volunteer entity.
Currently, I am the sole volunteer-worker in the  museum, with the assistance
of a State employee, who is the appointed Curator  and able to manage the
museum as part of her job duties.

Except for a CAP grant and a small technology grant that I previously
obtained for the museum (and a fundraiser that is providing small, residual
quarterly payments), as an all-volunteer organization we do not have the ability  to
apply for and administer large grant awards. There is the possibility that
this could be done via two somewhat affiliated parent organizations,  however I
foresee difficulty with this since these organizations would be  required to
commit funding, resources and the administering of grant  awards to care for
collections, etc.,  that are not under their  ownership.

I'd like to advise the museum to consider transferring ownership of the
collections to one of these two organizations, as long as there can be a legal
written condition to allow for the wishes of the members. Do you know if such a
stipulation can be made and expected to be honored?

Since 1993 we've had a special use permit for the building to house  the
collections, however, the state agency which owns the building has not and  does
not appear to be willing  to repair and maintain this historic  building as a
facility to properly house the collections. So even if I were to  solicit
funding via donations or grants to care for the collections, etc., it  would be a
disservice for me to do so because of the poor environmental  conditions
present in the building.

The museum has operated without a director for several years now, since his
passing. Rather than appoint a director, the president (or co-presidents) of
the  chapter serve as the director(s). Currently, none of the members are
interested  in volunteering or being appointed to this position nor any of the
offices of the board of directors. They are struggling to abide by the  bylaws of
the national association in order to maintain their local chapter and  museum
charter.

There is no lack of desire to keep the museum going -but because the
majority of the members are the most elderly of the senior citizen  population...they
simply cannot. The remaining membership is not large enough to  sustain the
chapter, but I have promised them that I'll do anything to assist  them with
their best interests in mind.

Currently, as much as I need a paying position and wish to seek  professional
museum work, I am volunteering and have committed to utilizing a  previous
grant award for which I will receive a small honorarium. There was the
possibility of funding for a seasonal position, but I learned last week that the
funding was not available. Regardless, I am totally committed to assisting the
alumni (of the Civilian Conservation Corps) and they appreciate this and have
put their faith in me.

I've called for a meeting at the end of this month to put all the
options/alternatives available to the museum on the table for discussion,  consideration
and otherwise provide a forum that may assist in leading to  an informed
decision. Therefore it is my responsibility to research and present  this
information.

List members are welcome to make comments, offer suggestions, etc., and
invited to join us in considering our options. Please feel free to e-mail me
offlist or call me (if you leave a message, I can return US calls toll free from
home).

As an aside, I find that this list has been extremely helpful in many ways
(I appreciate this), though at times I'm conflicted  -by my inability to be
considered as a peer on a professional level and because of the  many critical
concerns I've accepted responsibility for and  contend with at this museum. I
do not have other museum professionals to  regularly consult with or to assist
me, and I don't want to make it  seem like I'm constantly relying on 'free'
advice and assistance from this  list.

Please understand that although I have a solid academic background and
training and knowledge in museum work, it is limited as I have as yet to be
employed, professionally in a museum. Meanwhile, trying to assist and be  productive
under the circumstances I find myself in, is a little bit much at  times and
it shows!

I'm taking a leap of faith really in hopes of some, any help. Thank  you.

Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Museum Assistant
Northeast States Civilian  Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit State Forest
166 Chestnut Hill  Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut 06076
Telephone: (860)  684-3430