From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 05:02:39 -0700
--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Full disclosure:  Many years ago a man gave me a $5 bill after I agreed to
> expedite his photo order.  I've always felt vaguely guilty about this,
> especially since I forgot to report it on my taxes (please don't report me to
> the IRS). I am now considering, after all these years, dropping $5.00 into
the
> donations box at the museum entrance.

Don't feel guilty David, in the US, if you make less than I think $600 for
Federal and $200 for VA State (all States vary) in "freelance" type income, you
don't have to report it on your taxes. It will probably cost the IRS more to
process your 1099 than the $5 you reported.

> On perhaps three occasions, I've received small gifts from professional
> colleagues.  One was from a Japanese man who had a whole bag of similar gifts
> (wrapped) to distribute to museum staff who helped him out, and I felt it
> would be culturally injudicious to refuse.  I'd welcome any discussion of
such gifts.

That's a cultural thing and in those cases, I think those gifts should be
graciously accepted. They aren't meant as bribes or compensation but as an
extra "thank you." Some people are taught to write thank you notes, other
people are taught to give little gifts. Again, it's a cultural thing.

As for Nicholas' suggestion that some museum staff won't get gifts like the
janitorial staff, I don't think that should be a concern. You can always pass
your gifts along to other staff by saying, "I got this from so and so but you
do more work around here than all of us combined so I think you should have
it." Or why should they have to know about it? I don't think that you should
parade your gifts around the office either. If all staff are made to feel
appreciated and treated curteously, I don't think a janitor will mind that a
curator gets the occasional trinket for helping someone out. I mean, how often
do we get things like that anyway? Once every 5-10 years? Maybe once or twice
in our career? It's not a big deal. On the flip side, I've been in offices
where we took up a collection every Christmas for the janitorial staff. No one
has ever took up a Christmas collection for me, nor do I expect it. (But if
Museum-lers feel the need, I won't decline any donations that come my way. ;)

So I think accepting tips or gifts comes down to individual judgement. If it's
a gift that is meant as a "thank you" for extra work or special attention, then
I think it's alright to discretely accept it if people insist. If it's cash,
then you can always turn around and donate it back to the museum. If you get
the feeling a gift or tip is meant as a bride, especially if it is a large sum
or a valuable item, don't accept it or return it with an apologetic note about
your museum's no gift/tipping plan and suggest that if they feel the need to
contribute, they could make a donation to the museum in your name.

Deb