From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 08:56:03 -0500
>        Object is too small (apparently) to number.  Object gets put in small
>        bag with number on bag.  Object then goes on exhibit, sans bag.  Object
>        is stolen off exhibit.  How do you then prove ownership in the
>        unlikely event the object is recovered?  (Enterprising thieves may
indeed
>        try to erase the number on small object, but in my experience, you
never
>        entirely remove the evidence.)
>
>Something additional to consider . . .

We have very few objects too small to number.  The bag would serve the same
purpose as a tie-on tag - and in this case as a vehicle for the bar-code
label.  I am well aware of the propensity for objects to get shed of their
numbers at the slightest excuse and go off to party together in the nude,
incognito.
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]