From:
Sally Baulch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 14:14:00 -0500
> I am so glad to hear that we don't have to put a hole in the bag anymore.

I can think of one really good reason to not seal a bag: multiple
materials that hate each other like patent models made of oak, rubber and
metal.  Seal that bag and you are setting up a situation where the
off-gassing of the rubber and wood eat at the metal.  Sure it's going to
happen, but why speed up the process?

Also I have found "archival polyethylene" bags purchased in the 80s that
are sticky and/or yellowing.  Do you trust your plastic know-how?

About the tags...just a brainstorm for someone to debunk.  B-72 is also
used as a glue.  Could you stick the dot or tag onto an object using this
reversible acryloid?  Theoretically you are sealing the object surface
away from what you are attaching...but would that be enough to keep one
metal from contributing to the other's rust?

If the object is a textile, could you perforate the side of the metal tag
to sew to cloth tape and then attach it to the textile?

Sally Baulch
Collections Manager, Anthropology and History Division
Texas Memorial Museum
Austin