From:
Max van Balgooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:17:38 -0500
That sounds correct to me.  Because you did not receive cash and have sole
control of the use of those funds (an unconditional cash gift), you are
limited to simply acknowledging (with thanks!) the repairs and reminding the
donor that he/she may be able to deduct the donation at fair market value
(and to check with their financial advisor for more information).

As the recipient, your obligation is to recognize that you actually received
the gift and that it was not part of an exchange or subject to conditions.
Cash gifts are the easiest to handle because you can state the amount
received.  Other types of gifts (such as artifacts for the collection, labor
for restoration, or use of a car) can't be as easily valued without dispute
("That plumbing job didn't cost $500!  I could have done it for $50").  The
best method is to provide a description of the services or goods received
and note that the donor needs to determine the fair market value for income
tax purposes (which they can do by keeping their receipts or showing
comparative values from a price guide).  Indeed, the IRS doesn't allow
donees to appraise or provide valuations because it is a conflict of
interest (it avoids the "I'll give you my object if you promise to give me a
$10,000 appraisal"--laundering goods and services for tax deductions).

Of course, this is just the basics.  Things get more complicated for special
types of gifts (e.g., restricted gifts, donations with conditions, volunteer
hours, travel as a volunteer).  For more details, consult your financial
advisor or check out the "Church and Nonprofit Organization Tax & Financial
Guide" by Dan Busby (Zondervan).

Max A. van Balgooy,
Director of Interpretation and Education
National Trust for Historic Preservation