From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:17:22 -0800
I can tell you how visitors were counted at
Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science during the 1980s and early 1990s
[a.k.a. Buhl Science Center, at that time].

Of course, visitors were counted as they, or their
group, paid the entry admission fee. At that time,
there was one charge for the museum [i.e. Institute of
Popular Science/Science Center], Planetarium, and
observatory. The only activity requiring an additional
and/or separate admission charge, which was open to
the general public, were laser-light shows in the
Planetarium. So, the building admission count was the
main count.

Counts were also taken for the number of people who
attended a particular Planetarium show and a
particular observing session in the Observatory. So,
the people were not counted "twice;" these counts
helped to determine how many of the people who paid
general admission then went to the Planetarium show
and/or Observatory observing session.

For school groups, usually they are scheduled together
for a Planetarium show and/or Observatory session.
Hence, it is not necessary for additional counts in
this case. We simply use the group admission counts
for the Planetarium and Observatory counts.

In the case of rentals and special events, we do keep
a count of how many people enter the building. And, as
usual, we also keep counts of how many of these people
take advantage of an available Planetarium show and/or
Observatory session.

Hope this information helps.

gaw