From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:43:51 -0500
Hi Deb,
Absolutely, wash and wax it before you place it outdoors, or at least immediately after placing it outdoors. Even short term exposure to the elements can have serious permanent effects on unprotected bronze.
First try to determine if it is already coated, and if so with what. Colored waxes are sometimes used to tweak a patina in the factory, and they can be unsettled by new coatings. Check to make sure your piece's coloring is an actual patina, and not colored wax by testing a small unobtrusive area with the soap and wax you intend to use(below). If it seems unstable or sensitive, then it should be left indoors until a conservator can address the work. If stable, then on to washing.
Wash, never scrub no matter how dirty, with a soft brush(ferrules padded with duct tape) and a mild detergent solution like Orvus or Ivory. Rinse the brush often during the process. Wash from top to bottom. Rinse the piece very well and allow it to air dry for several hours. Use a soft paper towel(s) to blot off droplets and any pools on the work to speed the process.
Then apply a good wax coating(s). I use "Butcher's bowling alley wax" at the suggestion of our conservation team. It is easy to apply and will dry clear and hard. Always use a different brush to apply the wax than you used to wash the piece, although the same type of natural hair brush should be used for both. The wax can be thinned with a little mineral spirits depending upon your application technique. Two coats would be optimum for a work that has never been coated before. You will get optimum results from both washing and waxing if done on clear sunny days, where the work is warmed by the sun.
There are a few waxes out there that can do the job, but Butcher's covers most of the bases well and can be easily acquired online. There are also some newer experimental coatings, but they remain unconvincing. Do not use automotive waxes on bronze.
Once cleaned, waxed, and dry, the work(s) can be lightly buffed with a cotton cloth to bring out the shine then left outdoors(I assume it would likely already be outdoors, but perhaps not). It is recommended that a new coating be applied approximately every six months depending on the harshness of your environment, with a minimum reapplication period of one year.
Please give me a call or e-mail if you want further direction or advice.
Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850