From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 10:01:44 -0400
Luckily, most of the times I have done freelance they already had an idea of
what they wanted to pay because I never had any idea. I must admit, even
with the jobs that pay nothing or close to nothing (such as the set of
encyclopedias I was given for writing 20 entries averaging 700 words each),
I feel that both the chance to get my name and work out there and the
knowledge I gained from working on the project were worth it. The most I was
ever paid was $400 for 1400 words.

It definitely matters who the project is for. There's a difference between
working as a subcontractor for a government contract, an academic
publication or contributing to the local weekly paper. And also remember,
you get more out of it than pure money.

Freelance writing is a great way to supplement those infamous museum
salaries. I spent several years working on articles for the Centennial of
Flight. I was able to do it in my free time mostly in the comfort of my home
in my pj's. There were never issues with juggling the freelance work with my
museum schedule. I averaged about $1000 a month- better than can be made
working nights and weekends in retail or waitressing, but more relaxing,
intellectually stimulating and can go on the resume.

The only downside I had was for several years I was always tired from
staying up late most night researching and writing. And the taxes were a
headache!

Pamela