From:
Jessica Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2018 20:28:50 +0000
I don't know about statistics but at our museum (30k annually visitors/open 7 days a week/6 fulltime employees/4partime) we have a small "gift shop" which consists of one tall bookshelf and a case. The person who sells admissions handles gift shop items sales. The Director of Education handles the sourcing and purchase of sale items.

Our unwritten "policy" is that we never spend more than we make in the fiscal year, which averages about $1,000 (we see about 30k annually visitors, are open 7 days a week and have 6 fulltime employees). We also don't price things higher than what is needed to cover our costs of wholesale purchase, shipping and administration.  This means we don't usually make a profit but our stock sells because it's more affordable.

Jessica B. Phillips

Fraunces Tavern Museum