From:
Sue Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:15:44 -0500
Katie,

This is always a problem.  I've put on a number of these balls and attended dozens more over the last 20 years.  It's not quite the same situation as the volunteers from Sun-N-Fun, who don't bring any special expertise to the event.

The usual price for a reenactor ball with light refreshments is $20-25 per person.  This usually means water, punch, lemonade, or iced tea to drink, a cheese and fruit platter, some assorted cookies and pastries, and perhaps some veggies and dip.

If you're going to have a full sit-down meal or lots of hot hors d'ouevres, you can charge from a low end of $40 up to $70 per person.  Frankly, most reenactors don't have that kind of money.  One way to help them is to offer reduced prices to reenactors in period clothing, like let them in for $30 each or whatever.  After all, you're asking them to "work" by looking authentic and mingling with the others, and I expect they will be doing a little dance instruction for those who don't know how to do the period dances.

Many reenactors feel insulted and "used" because they go to the trouble of researching and making their clothes -- at a huge expense -- and then event organizers invite them to events and expect them to pay for the privilege.  It's really not fair to them, since they're part of what makes the event happen and you need them more than they need you--after all, if they want a ball, they'll have their own, at a price they can afford,  and not have to deal with people who aren't in period clothes and have no idea of what it's all about!  You really should be paying them, but since that's out of the question, the least you can do is give them a break on the price.  It's like asking for free medical advice from a doctor at a party...

I also assume that there will be some kind of formal dance instruction in 1860s dances, or else the band will just play modern ballroom music.  (Unfortunate, but it happens a lot at heritage balls where a majority of the audience aren't famliar with period dancing.)

Suzanne Fischer
Curator of Material Culture
Louisiana State Museum
P.O. Box 2448
New Orleans, LA  70176
[log in to unmask] < mailto:[log in to unmask]>

504-568-5459 office
504-599-1950 fax