From:
Helen Alten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:19:56 -0400
Northern States Conservation Center announces a repeat in June of its
popular basic preservation course: An Introduction to Collections Preservation.

MS 104 An Introduction to Collections Preservation
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: June 19 - July14, 2006
Cost: $395

The tools of a museum professional include a basic understanding of
preservation principles and techniques. This course provides an overview of
current preservation issues, from environmental monitoring to collection
cleaning, exhibit mounts and storage furniture. Covering every aspect of
the modern museum, and how the building, staff and fixtures affect
preservation of the collection, this workshop provides an overview that
participants can use in future decision-making about their collection.
Agents of deterioration, risk management, object handling and transport,
object labeling, exhibit lighting, security, emergency preparedness,
materials for storage and display, storage and exhibit philosophies, and
condition assessments will be discussed. This introductory course provides
basic knowledge that is expanded in all of our other courses.

Register for the class by purchasing it at:
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html

The course is taken at your own pace, on-line, with a weekly on-line chat
with the instructor.  You can take the course from any computer with
Internet access.  There are no travel costs.  If you have any questions,
please contact the course instructor, Helen Alten, at [log in to unmask]

(A list of our 2006 courses is available at:
http://www.collectioncare.org/index.html)

Course Outline:
1.      Preservation Principles
2.      Agents of Deterioration
3.      Monitoring
4.      Collection Handling
5.      Collection Labeling
6.      Collection Cleaning
7.      Storage Principles
8.      Exhibit Principles
9.      Emergency Preparation
10.     Conclusion

Comments by former students:

"I liked the informality, the knowledge of the instructor, the complete
information of the course.  An online course like this is very convenient
for people who cannot attend classes in another city because of their work
commitments.  Getting museum-related studies is very difficult for someone
who does not live near one of the few Universities that offer it.  I liked
this introductory class, because it gives an overview of many topics, and
provides very useful information."  - August 2005 student in MS 104

"I didn't really know what to expect because I had never taken an online
class before, nor had a taken any sort of collections/preservation class. I
definitely learned a lot; I now understand the overall goals and practices
of collections preservation, and feel comfortable with some of the language
used in the field." - August 2005 student in MS 104

"Everything was very good, but I particularly liked seeing images in the
PowerPoint slides. They really can add to the understanding of a topic.
Although I was familiar with most of the additional readings it was good to
have all the information grouped together in one location according to
various topics." February 2005 student in MS 104

"I really enjoyed the excellent course reading material.  It has really
helped me understand so much more about the work I do.  After the course, I
will continue to read the material that I didn't get to.  It has made me
feel much more purposeful in my job. The powerpoint presentations were
excellent and I found that they highlighted points that I missed from the
reading material.  They really helped to cement the information!  I like
these presentations a lot and looked forward to them after the reading had
been done. I wasn't sure what to expect from the online chats, but they
were so much fun and really did create a sense of being in a class.  It was
very good to have this place in the course where questions could be
answered.  I thought it was actually easier to ask questions during the
online chats than it is sometimes in the conventional classroom situation."
- February 2005 student in MS 104

"The lectures were succinct, with links allowing greater inquiry, depending
on one's need / interest.  The PowerPoint slideshows are nice as they
provide visual cues to much of the lecture content.  The extra readings are
good for reference purposes." - February 2005 student in MS 104

"I've been working as a collection manager for 10 years.   I have no formal
training in museum techniques.   I picked up things here and there
throughout the years.   I thought this class would solidify everything I've
learned.   I didn't think I would learn anything new, but I did. Great
course.   I would recommend it to anyone starting out in the museum
field.   I was surprised how knowledgeable Helen was.   Most people don't
know much about natural history collections, but Helen did and answered all
my questions." - February 2005 student in MS 104

"My experience with the MS104 online course has been exceptional, a 10! The
amount of information was almost too much to digest and far exceeded the
amount of information I've received in any other workshop. Thank you! Thank
you for such a high quality and demanding workshop! Although I feel as
though I wasn't able to put in 100% at all times because of my work
schedule, the information offered exceeded my expectations and required me
to really focus on learning the material in a way that other
workshops/courses have/do not. Thank you." - February 2005 student in MS 104

"I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD THANK YOU! EUREKA! I REALLY GAINED ALOT AND REALLY
ENJOYED STUDYING WITH YOU AND HOPE TO MEET YOU AGAIN IN A FUTURE
CHANCE."  July 2004 student in MS 104

"For one, I really appreciate all the reading material, both the lectures
and the additional readings.  It may have been an on-line course, but I
feel like I've got a textbook.  And one written by many different sources,
two heads being better than one.   Secondly, the overview.  I mean, I
realize that the class is an overview.  But I really like the fact that my
"textbook" covers so many different subjects and gives a beginner like
myself a good foundation to build upon and also, more confidence.  Third, I
like the on-line chats which afforded us students time to talk to the
instructor just like we were in the same room.  Even though it is a little
daunting to try and read everything and type at the same time.  But that's
just the nature of the beast.  I also liked the laid-back feeling of the
course, the self-pacing, and the informality."  July 2004 student in MS 104

About the Instructor
Helen Alten, Conservator and owner of Northern States Conservation Center,
St. Paul, MN has been a Field Education Director, Conservator, and trainer
since 1986. Ms. Alten received her conservation degree in Archaeological
Conservation and Materials Science, Institute of Archaeology, University of
London in 1986. She began working with people from small, rural, and tribal
museums while the state conservator for Montana and Alaska. Helen currently
conducts conservation treatments and operates a conservation center in St.
Paul, MN.