From:
"Jason B. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:00:04 -0700
The following hinges on: I don't believe the dresses were museum objects. As
explained before.

Considering they took it down off the original site, the way I see it: this
group of museum professionals just helped to censor an artist's creative
expression.  An expression the wasn't harming anything, but the museum
professionals' own sense of decorum regarding the sacredness of language
about collections. Even if it was "real", shouldn't museum professionals
know how important it is to challenge popular conceptions? Were would we be
without artists and academics challenging our beliefs?

I find condemning artist expression of this nature to be a very slippery
slope. Were does it end? No more loaning of objects? No receptions in
galleries? No more visitors in the museum?

How do we use our objects to educate, if we can't *use* our objects (or in
this case the *idea* of the object)?

We should protect artistic expression (especially challenging expression),
and find ways to use to create an educational dialog - not keep it from
being seen.

I'm 100% for protecting our collections. I'm 100% for protecting artistic
expression. I'm 100% for using objects and ideas to educate.

I believe more than 100% that museums' have an obligation to make sure these
3 happen, and never disappear. Even at our own expense.

I think this points to the larger issue of museum survival. If museum
professionals and current practices can't be questioned (especially
artistically), then how do we expect to adapt our institutions to meet the
demands of a changing society?

Jason