From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:18:10 -0400
Emily, it all depends on what significance, if any, the items have to your
museum's mission. Secondly, it depends on what your collections policy
says. If the items have good provenance that supports your mission and
policies, and your documentation indicates clear title, then retain them as
accessioned artifacts, "retire" them from use, and put them back in storage
after thoroughly documenting their condition. If they do not fit your
mission, and your policy supports deaccessioning them, then you could go
through that process and retain them as museum property. Then you have a
choice whether to just use them, or to protect them and use them. The
intermediate choice, to maintain them as accessioned artifacts but continue
to use them, must refer back to your policies. If a certain level of care
is mandated for accessioned items, then you are bound to maintain that
level of care. If no such mandate exists - well, maybe you need to revisit
your policy.

Best of luck, and thanks for trying to do the right thing. And thank your
volunteers for being alert to check for numbers.
Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager-at-large