From:
Susan Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:47:05 -0500
Organizers Database (ODB) was great in its day, but now seems (to me, at
least) old-fashioned in light of more attractive interfaces available.
Using it always feels like a throwback to DOS days to me. There are
newer programs that seem to offer better integration with other
institutional functions. While the price is right (you pay only if you
want support), ODB seems to me to have more "legacy users" rather than
new users.  In fact, I'm helping a client convert from ODB right now.

I'm not seeing a lot of museums using Salesforce (at least here in the
Northeast) but I think the flexibility of that platform offers some
interesting opportunities for integrated data management. For
nonprofits, the first ten licenses are free from the Saleforce
Foundation (http://www.salesforcefoundation.org/)  and each additional
seat is something like $364.  So the price is right, but as some
Salesforce experts say, "Salesforce is free--like a puppy is free!"
There is definitely a steep learning curve to set up and customize the
way you want.  But there are active user groups and using Open Source
appeals more than proprietary software that could be yanked from the
market if sold to another company (a la the Blackbaud acquisition of
Convio, for example.)

I think the most important question in decisions like these (besides the
obvious budget one) is what kind of permanent in-house support/training
your current staffing level allows.  If you have a dedicated person (or
half a person) in-house, it is a lot easier to choose platforms like
Salesforce that may require a lot of tinkering but can ultimately yield
impressive results in the form of integrated data and coordinated
communications.

Susan Ruderman
Fundraising Consultant