From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:55:10 -0500
At 08:23 AM 11/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>It strikes me from the description in this message that this position should
>be considered entry-level, keeping in mind an entry-level position in the
>museum profession doesn't have the same requirements as an entry-level
>position at McDonalds.  It's perfectly reasonable to expect "basic office
>experience" as a requirement for an entry-level position in the museum
>field.  As for prior knowledge about art and museums, that's what we're
>gaining by attending graduate school, doing internships and volunteering.

agreed.  A lot of people get through undergrad or grad school as an office
assistant.  Being good liberal arts majors, almost all of us have done the
rounds of temping as well.

How much can basic office experience mean in the first place?  Good phone
etiquette, basic knowledge of some word processing program, basic knoweldge
of at least either Mac or PC computer format, ability to use the xerox and
fax machines, ability to do filing and other types of clerical work, etc.
If someone graduates from college without those skills, I'd wonder what
they were doing for 4 years.  Everyone has to use computers to get throug
school these days.  While not everyone has to use a fax machine, they
aren't hard to figure out.  Phone etiquette is common sense as well as
filing and most other light clerical work.  These days even HS students
have these skills.

>For an entry level position (even in LA) $20,000 is more than reasonable.

What?!?  Maybe in some parts of the country $20,000 is more than
reasonable.  Entry-level should be enough of a salary to get someone
started in the job world without putting them into poverty.  Managing a
tight budget with few luxuries is one thing, eating beans and rice to
scrape by is another.  I think it's been well proven that $20,000 is too
little to survive on in LA, entry level or not.

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.
Alexandria, VA 22314