From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:46:05 -0500
At 09:33 AM 1/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm looking to take some computer-skills courses to enhance my
>employability (just got my MA in Museum Studies).
>
>Which database software/spreadsheet software would make me the most widely
>marketable in the museum field? Any and all opinions welcome!

Outside of specific collections/volunteer management programs, I think any
spreadsheet/database that you can learn is valuable.  Most of the programs
are similar and it's the concept of how spreadsheets/databases are set up
that is the real key.  The rest is just learning the specific program which
anyone who is computer savy can pick up quickly.

Access and Excel are probably the most widely used, being Microsoft
products.  Filemaker Pro for both Mac and now PC is making it's mark as
well.  ClarisWorks has a database program now though I haven't used it and
generally prefer the MS products (I can't believe I just said that...:).
Dbase is another one as well as Lotus 1-2-3.  Oracle is another database (I
think.  I don't know anything about it other than it's associated with
database programming and is desperately needed in the business world) but I
don't know anyone who uses it in the museum world.

I think your best bet is Excel and Access.  They are generic and widespread
plus easy to use and come for both PC and Mac.  Excel is probably slightly
more useful because it is used a lot for doing budgets and can be used for
simple databases.  USDA and most community colleges offer cheap into
courses to them and the rest you can probably pick up on your own.

Good luck!

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.