From:
Daniel Marwit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:13:07 -0800
Kent,

Five resources that might be helpful:

1.  pinholevisions.org -- simple inventions, simple
language, lots of quick information.

2.  optics.org -- professional organization for
everything optics, including shopping for materials.

3.  sonicarchitecture.com -- designers who create
environments based on sound.  Sure, it's not optics,
but their environments might give you some good design
ideas.

4.  Egg -- PBS arts show.  There was an episode they
aired within the last year featuring a guy who makes
pinhole cameras out of everything, including oversized
plexiglass animal models.

5.  inventors.about.com -- "Biographies" of famous
inventions.  Good historical and technical info.  The
specific page for telescopes on this site is

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www%2Disds.jpl.nasa.gov/cwo/cwo%5F54ga/html/cd/telescop.htm

I also have some Questions and suggestions:

1.  The "camera" will be able to focus on both the
distant skyline and people in close range?  Does that
mean the can be manipulated for directing and focusing
purposes?  If so, I think crank operations might be a
good idea.

2.  The image will be projected on the "back of a
frosted or translucent imaging glass?"  If you mean
"through" the glass so that it actually projects on
the opposite side, then I think your problem of not
being able to enclose the space could be solved.  I
know it sounds silly, but check out the Kenneth Cole
store on 57th and Lexington in the city.  They have
excellent examples of glass that offers transparent
projections.  The sales reps couldn't tell me the name
of the material, though.

3.  You want the kiosk to provide an experience with
the human eye, the camera eye, and the mechanics of
lenses?  I have some ideas for the human eye portion.
I'd rather discuss them off-line, though, if you're
interested.

Jerry's suggestion about using mirrors is a valuable
one.  Not only will the use of mirrors enable you to
flip the image and save some space, but it will also
enable you to direct the image anywhere you want it to
go.  It might even be interesting to make part of this
kiosk an activity where a visitor can control a mirror
and observe outcomes.  Also, I wonder if two mirrors
mitered at an angle could send the image in two
simultaneous directions without losing the image's
quality.  That could really expand the kiosk's
opportunities.

Good luck with everything.  Sounds like a really cool
exhibit.

Dan

--- Keepsafe Systems/Jerry Shiner <[log in to unmask]>