From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:40:49 -0800
Gina Lineberger,

Internships and volunteering are very good ways to receive experience in museums. Of course, people with paid employment in the field also have very relevant experience.

The problem, of course, is too few museum jobs and a surplus of candidates, with relevant experience, for such jobs. Hence, to "get your foot in the door," you may have to accept a lower paid job (possibly in another city) to get the experience to move up in your museum career.

But, I can tell you that when I worked at Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science in the 1980s and early 1990s, we often hired volunteers for paid positions.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,

Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >

Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >

SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >

Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >

Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >

Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >

Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --

* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:

  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:

  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >

* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:

  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >

* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:

  < http://garespypost.tripod.com >

* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:

  < http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >

* Public Transit:

  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >