From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:36:35 -0500
I've used this product at home at my computer work station and it
adhered to the painted surface.I only noticed this when I attempted to
lift it and do some housekeeping I am suspicious of it and am not sure
about it offgassing but that is a good possibility.You could write the
manufacturer and ask them these technical questions before condemming
it. Volara and ethafoams made for our trade are safe but are cream and
white in color and so may be too obvious in such a setting.Either foam
would create a barrier to the perhaps unfinished wood on your shelves
setting up an acidic reaction with any topically painted designs on your
china.
Regards

Len Hambleton - Objects Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency