From:
Marshall Duell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:26:58 -0700
I think that the use of a loan form is problematic in this case.  Unless
the friend of the donor has been granted power of attorney, he or she
probably does not have the authority to enter into a loan agreement on
behalf of the donor.  Loan agreements and transfers of ownership imply
that the person who is signing has free and clear title to the object.
When we receive an unsolicited gift, we make use of a temporary custody
receipt.  Its use does not imply any intention on our part to borrow or
keep the object, but does communicate when and how the object was
received and who brought it in.  If we do decide to execute a loan
agreement or transfer of ownership,

Marshall Duell, Curator

Old Courthouse Museum

211 W. Santa Ana Blvd.

Santa Ana, CA  92710

(714) 973-6607

(714) 973-6605

(714) 834-2280 fax

www.ocparks.com.oldcourthouse

Our email address format recently changed.  Please note that server
address is now rdmd.ocgov.com.