From:
"J. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:33:21 -0400
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, DOWNS, Trish wrote:

> Would anyone like to discuss with me the implications of exhibitions on the
> internet? For example, 2D images versus 3D images; possible impact on public
> programs; general impact world wide (eg increased access);; what sort of
> exhibitions are/could be in existence, etc; what impact would internet
> exhibitions (images of objects)  have on the museum's unique'drawcard'
> (access by the public to the 'real thing').

     Actually, I just wrote a term paper, and presented a seminar on this
very topic!  I took the approach that virtual galleries, and museum web
sites are a positive thing, and at least a means of encouraging people
who perhaps do not have access to museums, to visit them at their own
leisure.  Museum home pages allow gallery viewers to become aquainted
with collections and exhibit set-ups before hand so that they can plan
their visit more effectively. With the use of 3D imaging and virtual
galleries, the experiences will only become more valuable to internet
gallery enthusiasts.  I do feel that it will be very difficult for
internet galleries to replace the experience of visiting a real
institution.  I'd also be interested in hearing what others think will
happn in the future.
     I presented this topic to a fairly small seminar class (4 th year
contemporary art history class at Mcmaster University, Ontario Canada)
just a
few weeks ago, and found that although most students were well aware of
e-mail, they had not had much experience with "surfing the web" and
exploring internet museums and galleries.(as part of the presentation
we visited some sites on the web)  It was therefore
quite difficult for them to predict or envision how these "on-line
institutions " will affect us.
     Needless to say that internet exhibitions are not for everyone, and
of course not everyone has access to them, as we are all aware, the
numbers are only increasing!
  I think that it is very important to discuss and research topics such
as this since this appears to be the way technology and communication is
moving, and it will definately have an effect on the way the public
interacts with the museum and vice versa.

Jennifer Clark (Hon. Art History)
Mcmaster University,
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada