From:
m witten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:27:11 -0700
Over a decade ago the Taos Historic Museums and the Harwood Museum of Art wrote a joint IMLS proposal to fund the Southwest Research Center of Northern New Mexico.  The SWRC combined the library and archival materials of the THM, HAR and the Millicent Rogers Museum into a non-circulating library.

The SWRC is administered informally by the Museum Association of Taos, which includes the THM, HAR MRM, and the Taos Art Museum.

We jointly fund the SWRC through in-kind donations (free rent, utilities, staff, etc.) and through the sale of our "combo" ticket. The combo ticket allows admission to all 5 of our museums (THM has 2 historic house museums) and is sold at all of our museums and at the Taos Visitor Center.  (MAT also does joint advertising and runs 2 programs for children.)

By combining our (meager!) resources we have been able to operate a library that is used by students and researchers from NM and across the US. At some future date (after a suitable building is completed), the SWRC is likely to become a special collection within the UNM-Taos library.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Morris Witten
Executive DirectorTaos Historic Museums

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

~Lew Wallace