From:
Pamila Matharu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:51:55 -0400
Greetings.

I have just recently joined this discussion list.  In lieu of the recent
conversation regarding Entry Level jobs, and internships, etc..

I have to agree with Mr. Avdichuk..
I personally feel that volunteerism is a self activating iniative that
many young people do not want to contribute to in organizational work in
institutions like museums and galleries.  There is some unforseen
notion, that a job is waiting for you at the end of your BA/ MA in Art
History.

It is interesting to note that many young people gripe about the lack of
jobs and opportunities in the arts industry and institutions such as
museums and galleries.

I for one have been volunteering my time prior to even knowing I will be
doing some sort of related work in the arts, hoping to gain more than
just a fact on my resume.  The resources to find and seek opportunities
seem to be widely available, but initiative, drive, and a positive
attitude is what lacks lots of my peers.

Mentoring and nurturing young talented minds is another positive
approach to assimilating candidates, but again is it up to the mentors
to lay down the facts, that this is not glamourous work.

I have been working minimum wage/unpaid jobs in the non-profit sector in
the arts community for the past several years, while finishing my
undergraduate degree in Visuals Arts.  It was the only way I could see
myself earning hands on knowledge in arts administration in the
non-profit sector without feeling undersold at the end of my degree.

Graduates/under Grads, are highly exploited solely for the fact that
folks know that ' this kid needs us to put her/him on the map'.

My recommendation would be to start early, volunteering that is; it's
your best bet to learning early and possibly opening yourself to various
other opportunities down the road.

Regards,

Pamila Matharu