From:
Shirley S Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:23:18 -0400
Hi Joshua,

Even those of us who have institutional collections find "stuff" that
has very little or no donor information with it.  Worse still, the
objects may have little or no supporting documention or even an
identification!   Don't worry, we've all been there.

If you have no donor data, but the owner wishes the collection
catalogued, you can still do that - providing an identification and
description as the most basic level, then adding other attached data to
the piece.   As an experienced cataloguer you may be able to add
information based upon expertise that isn't written down with the object
(such as the geologic formation it came from, the maker, notations of
style etc.).   You should always add a note to the record attributing
the comment to a particular person with the date.   This can be very
helpful down the road if other people question the comment or use the
comment as a basis for something they wish to say about the piece.

At some point, you may have to decide if the object is worth cataloguing
without extensive information.  For example, a taxidermy mount of an
extinct species is worth cataloguing even if it has no supporting data
but a brachiopod fragment of a common species might be placed in a
give-away pile or school demonstration pile.

If the collection as a whole has been accessioned you may have to
address other issues, like deaccessioning policies.   Even if you decide
not to catalogue the piece, there may be another "life" for the object -
for school group demos, child collectors, libraries, traveling exhibits
etc.    [Sorry, I've been running on using natural history objects as my
example.  Other kinds of objects may require other solutions.   It might
be helpful to the list if you could be a bit more specific about your
situation].     This, however, gives you a start.

Finally, a colleague of mine referred me to an article on the internet
"New Tools for an Old Problem?: Old Loan Research and the Internet" by
Catherine E. Dean. (www.gwu.edu/~mstd/dean_paper.pdf)   The
methodologies may be just as pertinent for your stated problem.

Good luck!   This may be your best opportunity to become a modern
Sherlock Holmes.   Sometimes, even the handwriting on an old label can
provide clues to either the collector or additional sources of
information.   "Leave no stone unturned" is my motto!

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History
Database  Administrator
New Jersey State Museum