From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:47:08 -0500
Dear Deb,

What does one need the most: to know about what he/she is supposed to teach or
to know how to teach? If anyone could "pick up" a subject matter this easily
along the way, there would be no need for formal education at all. We could all
go our jolly way trying to keep just a bit ahead of the people we're supposed
to educate. On the reverse, why don't all master's degree holders just "pick
up" pedagogical material along the way?

As far as I'm concerned, a good educator is 1) someone who is trained in the
subject-matter he/she is supposed to teach; 2) someone who also has training in
education and can establish an effective bridge between both trainings; 3)
someone who considers education as a means, not an end.

Hervé Gagnon, Ph.D.