Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:24:40 -0400
I'm a museum consultant who has been making a career for myself after receiving little guidance from my academic department .  When I indicated that I wanted to pursue work in this field, I was only minimally encouraged because, frankly, most folks in academia don't know how to mentor a student in this direction.  They, after all, are in academia.  Having said that, the job search, drafting resumes, and most especially networking, can be incredibly daunting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this list is largely a networking opportunity.  I've been "lurking," if you will, on the fringes of this list for some time, picking up some useful information, sharing a bit off list with folks that I could help.  My concern regarding the debate about job seeking has prompted me to post my first message to the list.  I know that it has truly been discussed ad nauseum.  I add my two cents only because I am concerned that people may feel silenced, that it has become a bit risky to post to the list, and I hope that we can move beyond that.  When I recently subscribed, I was excited by the collegiality, by an opportunity to become a part of this community. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that people have been more careful with their grammar, even somewhat apologetic for their posts, hoping that they will be well-regarded.  I hope that, in the future, we will all be mindful of how valuable this list is and what a disservice is done when people are ostracized, belittled, or otherwise alienated.  However our comments are intended, if the tone (especially sarcasm) doesn't work, let it go.  Maybe you're not that funny! :-)

The tenor of this recent debate has concerned me because it seems to smack of a culture of elitism and unhealthy competitiveness.  Do we ask that every person looking for a text just "go to the library," or that every person asking about independent work just head for the Foundation Center?  No.  I hope that in the future, we can be more collegial in this space.

I don't usually rant, but I felt strongly compelled to add.  This has just been ugly and incredibly alienating! I think that this seems to run contrary to the intent of the list.

Moving forward/a note to job seekers (or people who just want to advance their careers): I have met people and made fabulous contacts by posting simple messages and making general phone queries for informational interviews.  Your qualifications are important, of course, but so are your tenacity and your ability to connect with people.  Sometimes, you do just run across the right person at the right time and strike them as bright and ambitious.  It does happen.  You shouldn't depend upon it, but it is an essential aspect of promoting yourself professionally and it is a skill that academic departments just do not impart.

Advice for "recent graduate" that extends beyond the anonymity of a thousand net searches? Identify some people successfully doing what you'd like to do, find them (some connection works best, but a "cold call" will do if you must), ask for informational interviews, make yourself memorable, make them comfortable to recommend you without reservation.  It's not a shortcut, just an additional route.  You'll gain valuable information, make fabulous contacts, and begin to become more comfortable with promoting yourself.  It may seem uncomforable at first and many of us even feel ourselves above it, but the bottom line is that it does help, most especially because it distinguishes you from all of the other faceless applicants out there.  It also helps you to become more comfortable with the nuances of healthy self-promotion, a skill that recent grads often sorely lack.

Best of luck,

Calinda N. Lee

______________
Calinda N. Lee, Ph.D.