From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 06:11:31 +0100
>Mosaic is an extended form of publishing, in my opinion.
>It is not about having a dialogue with an audience.
>It is a one-way transmission of information from those who
>are "in-the-know" to those who are not.

Good point.  I guess like most media we have to balance its flaws with its
virtues.  The Web's three virtues: it is distributed, it provides hypertext
links, and it is very easy to set up and use.  These qualities make it
useful for presenting some kinds of information which might not appear in a
more interactive context.

Perhaps the Web is more of a soapbox medium than a conversation medium?

>sllooowwww

We use dial-up to get to the Web so we know slooooowwwwww, but our browsers
let us turn off the auto download of pictures which makes hopping about much
faster.  I too like the text first.  The images are irresistible icing.  A
click gets the picture when I am willing to wait.  The speed problems we
have do seem to be concentrated in the connection not the software.  Used
in-house on our LAN, even image retrieval is pretty snappy.

Guy Hermann      | Mystic Seaport Museum |  "Technology is lust removed
[log in to unmask]   | Mystic, Conn., USA    |    from nature."  Don Delillo