From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 06:37:45 +0100
I wonder how many people have actually left the list because of the various
concerns they have?  It is difficult to hear from those who don't subscribe.

I would like to see some kind of hierarchical list where Museum-L lets us
know that there are active discussions of various issues going on in
sub-lists, which we can check out if we want to.  Probably impossible to do
without someone moderating and summarizing each sub-group. This would be
very useful--but I'm not volunteering. :-)

For better or worse, we seem to have sub-lists already with CIDOC, NAGPRA,
AAT, ConnDistList and others.  These are all technical specialties which are
critical to the Museum, but not central to all concerned with the Museum.
One sub-list we don't have is Museum-Tech, despite many requests.  Perhaps
the most compelling argument for why it has not come to be is that technical
issues go across the Museum--everyone should know these things.  But, back
to the beginning: if we are losing people from the list because of other
issues, then we are not really reaching the full community.

If the question is then: "How do we best reach the broadest number?"  What
is the answer?  Better Nettequette helps, but the continued requests for
relief need more concrete solutions.

Other ideas?

Guy Hermann      | Mystic Seaport Museum |  "Technology is lust removed
[log in to unmask]   | Mystic, Conn., USA    |    from nature."  Don Delillo