From:
Jeffrey Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:13:36 -0400
Joshua,

There is a small caveat to Ms. Boyer's message.  the IRS requires that a
gift be retained by the receiving institution for 2 years.  If the museum
should sell or transfer the gift during that time the IRS requires that IRS
and the donor be notified.  As I understand it IRS had disallowed deductions
for gifts sold within that period.  Our collections policies require the
Philadelphia History Museum to retain gifts for a minimum of three years so
that both the donor and the museum are protected.

If your donor received a tax deduction and the gift was free and clear,
and/or unconditional then no reconciliation is required.  You certainly
cannot return the painting to the donor because of the tax deduction.

We have been evaluating our collections and very actively deaccessioning and
as a courtesy I have contacted donors to let them know we are selling
something t hey gave us.  The usual reaction is to ask if their deduction is
still good and I have explained that it is.  Some have misunderstood the law
and wanted the things back and I have explained that that cannot happen.
The vast majority have had no problem, some were disappointed and only one
got really mad and let me have it.

I hope that this helps.

Jeffrey Ray
Senior Curator

--
Jeffrey R. Ray
Senior Curator

Please note my new e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent: discover the city’s
foundations while we renovate ours, www.philadelphiahistory.org.
Reopening 2011.