From:
Cheryl Brookshear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 18:32:58 -0600
I must agree with Mr. Bing.  While I would like to make more, working in an institution with 2 staff, I know there  must be cuts to increase salaries.  If the donations don't come in, how can I make more?

In my school work I was taught that a good director or fundraiser should bring in at least double their own salary.  Right now I know the programs I'm in charge of don't do this, and yes it does bother me, although I couldn't live on any less.  I would love for what I do to bring in
enough to cover my salary.  (How do you make your education programs pay?  Teachers complain when we include or increase fees.)

As for unionizing, reading Indigo's post it does seem to entail quite a bit.  One of the tasks struck me.

> We will create specific job titles.  We
> will have specific salary requirements to go with the
> titles.

I work for a tiny institution with 2 staff.  How do we create job titles for these 2 staff that would also be applicable to the large multi-million institutions?  I think the complexity of a union for all museums is very daunting.  AAM, with its years of experience still has to work
very hard at being able to embrace all types of museums, sometimes it succeeds other times it doesn't do so well.  I have a hard time imagining a new union attempting this feat.  Perhaps that is why no one has picked up the flag.

Cheryl Brookshear
Curator of Education
Hearthstone Historic House Museum
Appleton, WI