From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:30:10 -0500
Cindy

Precipitated chalk (or calcium carbonate) mixed with tap water will do just fine.  Distilled water is recommended, but not too large of an issue, unless your water supply is hard or is not filtered in some way.  Also, mineral oil can be used instead of water. (The chalk is the same thing that was used up until the early 1900s, although it was more often mixed with whiskey or rum.  by the way, precipitated chalk or rottenstone mixed with mineral oil will disguise water stains in most furniture.)  You may need to apply some elbow grease when you polish.

If you are not interested in working that hard I recommend the Never-Dull, just be careful not to over use it.  Rottenstone will also polish.  Like precipitated chalk, it is a powder and must be mixed with water or mineral oil.  It is, however, far more abrasive than chalk.  It's also harder to find.

Most hardware stores carry precipitated chalk, and I have seen Never-Dull in the auto section of WalMart and AutoZone.  For rottenstone start with a paint store, but don't be too suprised if clerks don't know what you are talking about.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
Fishers  IN

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/22/02 11:21AM >>>
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking for a brass and/or copper polish that will be safe for early
18th century household items that are part of the displayed collection. I
have heard of Nev-R-Dull, Rubin-Brite, and a paste made with Calcium
Carbonate. Are there any other products out there that I should look for?
Or are these the best? Where is the best place to purchase these supplies?

I'm leaning towards the Calcium Carbontate paste, but one source said used
only distilled water and the other said mix it with a 2% solution of mild
detergent and water. Is one better than the other?

Thanks for the help.

Cindy Olsen
Curator and Grants Manager
Star-Spangled Banner Flag House and 1812 Museum
844 E. Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
(410) 837-1793