From:
Laura Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:32:53 -0500
It seems to me that restrictions of any kind must be clearly and carefully
stated before the tour begins. If I were encountered with a guest who
refused to leave a water bottle outside, I would kindly state that this is
the policy and, although I am sure that he or she would not intentionally
cause damage to the interior of the museum, accidents do happen. I would
then offer to leave the bottle at the visitor's center.

As a former docent at many historic house museums, I have encountered
similar situations. My view is to remain firm on the policy but enforce them
by treating guests with kid gloves - make it their idea to comply by the
rules!

In training volunteers and docents for such a situation, I would have them
act out various scenarios and see how they would handle the situations
first. THEN, I would ask them to evaluate themselves to determine the most
favorable course of action. At the end of the day, one should always treat
one's guests with respect and courtesy.

I am sure that most of what I have said will be very familiar to you all.
Still, I hope that my response is helpful.

My best,
Laura Petznick, Ph.D.
Furniture and Social Historian

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

Our policy is to restrict food and drink in our historic structures, visitor centers, and museums. Visitors are instructed to leave food and drink outside if going on a tour. Because so many people are carrying around bottled water, our interpreters are beginning to get a lot of flak from visitors saying, "It's just water, and I promise not to drink while inside." Interpreters have explained that they do not have the authority to make exceptions and that water can indeed harm certain objects. Does anyone have any guidelines for how to handle visitors who are carrying water bottles (in coat pockets, backpacks, bags, etc.) that are visible to the interpreter? Many thanks. Martha Battle Jackson Registrar North Carolina Historic Sites 4620 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-4620 (919) 733-7862, ext. 232; Fax: (919) 733-9515 [log in to unmask] The opinions expressed may not be those of this agency.
========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).