From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:20:05 +0000
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, [ISO-2022-JP]  $BL,86!!<U7C (B wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> Does anyone know any museums which were founded by the PFI $B!J (BPrivate
> Finance Initiative) system?
> As far as I know, Royal Armouries Museum in England is the case, but
> I would like to know more about other cases.
> I would very much appreciate if I could possibly get more information
> on this matter.
> Thank you very much in advance.

===========================

I think that strictly speaking the Leeds Royal Armouries pre-date the
(British) Public Financing Initiative as such, though the funding
mechanism was similar.  (Geoffrey Lewis - a Museum-L member was a Trustee
and will know the definite answer.)

However, private funding along these lines has been around in the UK local
government and independent museum sectors for much longer.  As long ago as
1989 I helped my then authority - Leicestershire County Council - to set
up a design and build contract funded by commercial banks for the main
new building of the new science museum at Snibston, Leicestershire.

Patrick Boylan