From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 09:53:17 -0800
Fiona -

First and foremost assume it is loaded until you check it - I have seen
loaded historic guns on museum shelves with
the staff not knowing.

Get a wooden dowel from a hardware store that will fit in
the barrel (it has to be longer than the barrel - 5 - 6 ft. - slide it down the
barrel until it stops, and make a pencil mark on
the wood level with the end of the barrel (muzzle). Slide the dowel out and
hold it along the top of the barrel, lining up the pencil mark. If the other
end of the dowel lines up with the back end of the barrel, then it's not
loaded; if it stops short -
then something is inside the barrel. Pencils work well in checking pistols.

You can store it on a shelf lying down on ethafoam (lock-side up) or hang it
on hooks as long as they are padded with non-acidic padding or tubing.

Always handle with gloves and do your best to keep it dust-free. Never
polish the metal - patina is considered part of the history and value of an
historic firearm.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey