From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:43:15 -0400
This state of affairs is rather depressing when entry level jobs in museums
consist of what Mr. Weeks has described.  I would say that the biggest
favor any entry level job candidate could do for him/herself would be to
network like crazy when you are interning, volunteering.  Keep the antenna
up at all times for possible opportunities.  Be flexible, enthusiastic, and
willing to work hard.  Take the initiative and present yourself to a
prospective employer as the problem-solver for their organization.   The
fact is, is that sending out resumes and waiting for a response is not
going to work.

I hope prospective employers out there are looking hard at enthusiastic new
grads/talent.  My first "real" job was as an assistant curator- while I was
still in graduate school.  My boss at the time took a chance on me and it
worked out great.  He didn't have to pay a fortune (although he offered a
fair, livable entry level salary), and I was thrilled.  I did a lot of
xeroxing, but that was par for the course. Needless to say, I hate to see
newly minted museum folks feel like all they can find are the bottom of the
barrel jobs.

Arlyn Danielson