From:
"Stanford, Karin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:51:11 -0500
On the question of defining the aspects of public relations and marketing,
here is an example I use for my students:

If the circus is coming to town and you paint a sign saying "Circus Coming
to the Fairground Saturday," that's advertising. If you put the sign on the
back of an elephant and walk it into town, that's promotion. If the elephant
walks through the mayor's flower bed, that's publicity. And if you get the
mayor to laugh about it, that's public relations. If the town's citizens go
the circus, you show them the many entertainment booths, explain how much
fun they'll have spending money at the booths, answer their questions and
ultimately, they spend a lot at the circus, that's sales. - Unknown