From:
"Tracy S. Armogan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:26:57 -0500
Ashley,

I'm currently enrolled at JHU and I'm about halfway through. As far as I
can tell there's really no way to tell, from your degree that the
program was online. Your MA will look like any other MA you would get
from JHU. As far as hands on experience, in the six classes I have taken
so far, I have had more hands on experience than I ever had during my
undergraduate work. While the class discussions and lessons are online,
the emphasis really is on getting you out into the museums to see for
yourself and to work on the ground.  In fact many of your larger
semester projects will usualy involve multiple visits and active
involvement with the staff at the museums you are working with. For
example, I just finished an access audit at my local historical society
which included an in-depth interview with the museum director and as a
result of it, I'll be working on an access plan for the museum. I think,
in many ways, you get out of the program what you put into it. The
courses really are geared to give you the best opportunity to get the
experience you need. If you're already working at a couple of museums,
there's a good chance you will have classes where you can put what
you're learning and working on directly to use at your museum.

As a side note, one of the really great things about the program, for
me, is that all of the instructors are either working in the field or
worked in the field for years before they moved into academia. I've had
professors from the Met, MoMa and the Smithsonian just to name a few. So
you really do get the perspective of people who are teaching the things
they work with everyday, so it's about as cutting edge as you can get.

Best regards,

Tracy