From:
Cathlene Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:31:38 GMT
Betsy Price ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: that the social aspect of a museum visit is a primary motivation for
: going and a strong factor in the type of learning that takes place.
: however, it does seem plausable that we take advantage of the cultural
: popularity of family life and use it to guide how we present programs
: and exhibits.

The Maryland Science Center's Beyond Numbers exhibit has done a good job
of encouraging social interaction among its visitors. The double pendulum
on chaos is a good example of how the design intentionally does this: It
would have been more illustrative of chaos to have the two pendulums
hanging from the same axle and have some sort of trigger to start them at
the same time. (and I'm not sure about the more illustrative thing - it
could have created a misconception). But if two pendulums were side by side,
but too far apart for one person to reach, it would take two people to
"work" the exhibit  - better yet, three - one to say "ready, set, go".  Many
other exhibit components had this "social conscience" to their design.
 After watching my 73 year old father enjoy the exhibit with my 12 year
old niece, I personally think, the best feature was the "two-butt" seats
- and lots of 'em.

Cathy
Who's not working there any more, but is still proud of that exhibit