From:
William Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:28:13 -0500
So I guess the first day giving up smoking is not the day to answer money
questions. Sorry.

Let me explain it again now that I took a break. I look at this question
two ways.  First, you either are happy in your job or you are not.  If
you are happy and enjoy your work, all is right with the world. The
satisfaction of the work and the pay are together on the plus side. If
you are unhappy in your job, then either the work part or the pay part is
wrong.  Correct the bad part of it. Find a new job or ask for more money.

But for the cheery - "Hi, I am a graduate student ready to conquer the
world - How much am I worth?" My answer is still, "Not much more than a
volunteer and you know how much we pay them." (Rereading this I realize
this is a "corporate" attitude. Boils down to "If you don't like the job,
I will get someone else" Not the nicest way to look at it. Museums are
kinder and gentler!)

Gaining experience is where the increased money is in this field and in
any other. Or - seriously - maybe there is more money in the
specialization of museum work found in fundraising or grant writing.

This young lady had not done any of her homework. After seeing the pay
ranges she may decide on going to law school or computers. Working for
someone is different than being an independent contractor.  In our system
of enterprise you have a perfect right to make the enjoyment equal the
pay.  You must do it for yourself, it is not the employer's task to make
you happy.

 Not until Melissa sits down with the Director who will say, "This is
what I - and that is capitalized - want you to do" and for those tasks "I
will pay you this much" can our student make any proper decision.  Hence
my suggestion that she make out the list of what she sees her duties to
be.  Each point can then be itemized and almost graded. She may go in and
 think that  the Director will say, "$25,000 and it is certainly great to
have you with us" when the Director will probably give an answer, "That
the budget has a top and bottom salary for your position. With your
experience you fit here."

Probably starting about $18,000 -  $20,000 is the answer Melissa will
hear. Then, and only then, will she be able to make a decision to take
the job or not.

My present salary is about one third of what I made on the outside in the
"other" world as an officer in a corporation. I made a conscious decision
ten years ago that I wanted to get more involved in history and therefore
found historic house museum work.  I am happy and content with my salary
and my job. I was not happy - content is better - with the bigger bucks
and a job that I had for twenty years that kept me from vacations, study,
my historic interests and my family.

That is where I am coming from.  Sorry if you took my remarks as being
mean and nasty. Or bitter and rude.

Sincerely,

Bill Maurer

Only $9.95 per month!