From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:02:15 -0500
When I ran galleries I had a variety of spaces with different heights
for different situations.  My "intimate" galleries had 12-ft ceilings
and my large-scale galleries had 18 ft ceilings with a coffer that
brought the usable wall height to 16 ft.  Funny story:  the small
galleries were originally designed for 10-ft ceilings by the architect,
and I was continually saying that they needed to be 12 ft.  It went
round and round but the construction documents said 10 ft.  When they
were drywalling the ceiling the field supervisor, who knew I didn't like
it at 10 ft, came to me and asked me what height the ceiling should be.
I told him 12 ft, and that's where it went.  The architect came to
review the construction, saw it was 12 ft, and never mentioned that it
was not to the design.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN