Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:45:51 -0600
I know of one person who has funded her own job with a grant, but that was not in a museum. She attended several grant-writing workshops, one really good one in South Carolina, I believe. She obtained a million-plus grant for a Health Sciences Center and signed on as the "overseer" of the grant funds -- not sure what her title is.

Her job will last until the grant money runs out, but part of her job is to find more grant money to keep the program going. Hence, she has work time to search for grants. One thing she said when she was talking about her job is that grants seem to go to those who collaborate with other entities in the community, i.e. schools, hospitals, etc.

I have attended a couple of short workshops on grant-writing, and I discovered that many will not fund a person. They will provide funds for other things but not to employ people. You may want to deal with the museum that if you find enough grant money to cover the cost of your salary that they will provide it from the general fund as long as the grant provides for other project expenses.

I'm sorry I can't give more details, but at least, you will know it's possible.

Betty
--
Betty DuBose Hamilton
Chairman, Terry County Historical Commission