From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:14:38 -0500
Hello all,

I am a new subscriber and hope to learn more from all-involved.  I am doing
some research and hope I could strike some contacts with anyone who may have
knowledge or items that would fit an exhibition we are designing at the
Chattanooga Regional History Museum.  As many of you know, the Scopes Trial
of 1925 occured just north of here in the small town of Dayton, TN.  It was
quite the spectacle with at issue being the teaching of evolution.  This was
not by any means the first reaction to Darwin's theory by any means.  I have
documented "reactions" of people in the forms of published music (both
recordings and sheet music), theatre and film (ie. Inherit the Wind),
political cartoons (emanating from the Scopes Trial) and sculpture.

I am looking to document and locate other "popular culture" items that
interpret people's reaction to "evolution".  In particular, are there any
works of art with evident interpretations of "evolution"?

Please email me off-list for additional details or to provide possible
leads.  We are hoping to  the exhibit June, 2001.

Oh, the title of the exhibition is "Can You Make a Monkey Out of Me?
Evolution and Popular Culture."

Thank you,
John Mitchell