From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 07:58:44 -0500
Hi Kate,

I know that there has been a great deal of discussion about using vapor
phase inhibitors for the preservation of probelamtic metal artifacts
(particulalrly archaeological objects) but I am unsure if anyone is
currently using such an approach for historic or ancient objects.

I personally think that there are more economical approaches to
stabilizing metal artifacts such as proper environmental conditions and
possibly using inert gas microenvironments for some artifacts such as the
nitrogen gas systems used in exhibit cases. Vapor phase inhibitors
literally saturate or "fog" the athmosphere around an object and this
system would severely limit storage options (ie. other artifactual
materials) and staff access to such collections (ie., health & safety
procedures).

I would be interested in hearing from other conservators & curators about
the issues that this raises as I would like to learn more about the pros
and cons of vapor phase inhibitors.

Dave

David Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms
Colonial Williamsburg
P.O. Box 1776
Williamsburg, VA 23187-1776
804-220-7039

=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=