From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:09:11 -0400
Ideally, an isolation area should be separate from other collections storage areas for obvious reasons.  At the Indiana State Museum, we use freezers to isolate and kill any insect infestation as well as for the storage of animals we later skeletonize.  Not every incoming item is frozen, only those that we suspect of infestation or those where infestation is obvious.  If the item is not an animal being kept for skeletonization, then usually 72 hours at 30 degree below zero will kill anything.  We do have other incoming rooms that we use for items just coming into the collection, but this is more for organizational reasons that to stop any infestation.

Jeff Tenuth
Natural History Collection Manager
Indiana State Museum
650 W. Washington St.