Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:38:44 -0400
I think Heather's advice is sound. Our museum is also a memorial to Canada's
war dead and, indeed, to all who have served in war and peace. Accordingly,
we feel a certain standard of dress is mandatory, but it has changed over
the years to become less formal.

I very much agree that it must be made crystal clear to all new staff what
is expected of them and to be consistent in maintaining standards. At the
same time, it is also important to listen and respond appropriately to the
legitimate concerns of staff and, when making changes, to involve them in
the development of new uniforms/standards, and to try out a new uniform
before putting it into general use.

The other museum in our corporation wanted to get away from having hosting
staff in blazers because they were perhaps too formal, definitely expensive
to maintain and could be too warm, so they moved suddenly to putting
everyone in sweaters. Unfortunately, no trials had been done and the
sweaters proved so warm as to be unwearable. Eventually, they moved to a
sleeveless waistcoat, which everyone seems to like.

May I suggest that you also consider asking your visitors what they think?
Choosing a uniform and setting dress standards are issues that fairly cry
out for a front-end evaluation.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]

Museum-L" (without the quotes).