From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:06:35 GMT
>You might consider putting small objects into polyethylene zipper bags and
>affixing the label to the outside; but many objects should not be sealed in
>completely, so we either use a paper punch to ventilate the bag or leave a
>bit of the seal undone.

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting small objects in zipper
bags
and numbering the bags, allow me to suggest the following (true) scenario:

        Object is too small (apparently) to number.  Object gets put in small
        bag with number on bag.  Object then goes on exhibit, sans bag.  Object
        is stolen off exhibit.  How do you then prove ownership in the
        unlikely event the object is recovered?  (Enterprising thieves may indeed
        try to erase the number on small object, but in my experience, you never
        entirely remove the evidence.)

Something additional to consider . . .

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre