Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:20:06 -0400
Popular Art, Architecture & Design

*All Proposals & Abstracts Must Be Submitted Through The PCA Database.
<http://ncp.pcaaca.org/>*
Please submit a proposal to only one area at a time. *Exceptions and rules
<http://pcaaca.org/%7Epcaacaor/rules-exceptions-for-presenting/>*
Popular Art, Architecture & Design CALL FOR PAPERS

POPULAR ART, ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN
Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association 2017 National
Conference
Marriott Marina, San Diego, CA — April 12 to 15 Deadline for Submissions:
October 1, 2016

The Popular Art, Architecture & Design area is concerned with the
aesthetics, the history, and the theory of popular culture in the everyday
world of the past, the present, and the future. Scholars from disciplines
including Architecture, Art History, Fine Art, Museum Studies, Industrial
Design, and Interior Design are invited to submit abstracts for papers or
proposals for panels, and papers from graduate students are welcome.

At previous conferences the topics have included, but were certainly not
limited to:

*   World Fairs
*   Neon signs
*   graphic design
*   the architecture of Tadao Ando
*   Disneyland
*   Edward Durell Stone
*   Sandy Skoglund and Gregory Crewdson’s visions of suburbia
*   railroad stations
*   sardine can art
*   portrait miniatures
*   Kara Walker’s silhouettes
*   Vietnamese shop-houses
*   mobile homes
*   shopping malls
*   Hopalong Cassidy merchandise
*   Superman and Art Deco
*   the art of Howard Finster
*   placemaking versus traveling

It is a broad area indeed, so think creatively!

To submit an abstract, go to http://ncp.pcaaca.org<http://ncp.pcaaca.org/
<http://ncp.pcaaca.org%3chttp:/ncp.pcaaca.org/>> and follow the
instructions for creating an account and making your submission. All
submissions must be made through the conference submission site.

Please submit a title and an abstract of no more than 150 *words by October
1, 2016.*

Be sure to proofread your name, title, and abstract closely as this text
will become part of the program should your proposal be selected.

For conference information, go to http://www.pcaaca.org/national-conference/