From:
Stuart Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:51:00 GMT
Isn't the nub of this issue the phrase "in competition with".  I developed
an institutional code at Auckland Museum (New Zealand), and am bound by a
similar one in my present job.  This permits me to collect in the same
subject areas as the Museum I work for, provided that I notify the Museum of
new acquisitions and allow it the opportunity within one month of
notification to acquire from me at the same cost I paid any such new
acquisition.   I have indeed had to yield one item under this provision.

In this way my collecting is not "in competition with" my employing museum,
and I can continue to derive pleasure and understanding from my collecting
(which may well benefit the museum in the long run too.)

Stuart Park
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa,
Wellington, New Zealand.

Email [log in to unmask]